SAN ANTONIO, Texas – The sixth-seeded Texas ladies’s basketball workforce continued their spectacular run within the 2021 NCAA match, knocking out second-seeded Maryland, 64-61, on the Alamodome on Sunday night time. The victory propelled Texas into the Elite 8 for the tenth time in program historical past and marks the Longhorns’ first regional closing look since 2016.
Because the night time ended triumphantly for Texas, it was not with out loads of braveness and tenacity after a tricky begin for the Longhorns.
Maryland shortly jumped over the Longhorns, going 9-0 to begin the primary quarter and power the Texas head coach Vic Schaefer to take a outing lower than three minutes after the beginning of the competitors. Schaefer and Co. went to work after that break, nevertheless, returning to the sport with a 10-0 run in favor of Texas. Because the groups argued, the Terrapins took management of a 32-25 lead at halftime.
The second half, and particularly the third quarter, was for a Texas workforce enjoying in entrance of a loud Lone Star State crowd contained in the Alamodome. Within the third quarter, the Longhorns beat Maryland 24-15 to take a 49-47 benefit going into the ultimate quarter.
The groups continued to commerce buckets all through the fourth quarter, and a layup from Maryland gave the Terrapins a 59-57 lead with 1:21 remaining, forcing Schaefer and the Longhorns to take one other outing.
Anticipation amongst UT loyalists within the crowd reached its peak upon exiting this downtime, as a visit to the Elite 8 rested solely within the arms of the younger Longhorns. And of this group, it was in second 12 months Celeste Taylor who delivered the equalizer by burying a midrange jumper with the suitable elbow. Proper after, Lauren Ebo stole the ball in the midst of the sector and to the purpose guard Kyra lambert He took it undisputed for a layup that gave Texas the lead for the final time.
Taylor had one other night time full of statistics for the Longhorns, scoring 15 factors and 11 rebounds for his fourth profession double-double (third this season). She additionally landed 4 assists and a steal on Sunday.
As well as, Lambert, Joanne Allen-Taylor and Charli Collier additionally scored in double digits. Lambert completed with 10 factors, Allen-Taylor with 14 to go along with 5 assists and Collier scored 16 factors to go along with 11 rebounds. He scored Collier’s nineteenth double-double of the season, tied for second amongst all Division I gamers. She additionally blocked a shot and recorded a steal.
Getting into Sunday night time’s contest, Maryland was the workforce’s nationwide chief averaging 91.8 factors per recreation. The Longhorns’ protection stored their opponents greater than 30 factors under that common.
The Longhorns will now flip their “Texas Combat” to the No.1 seed within the Hemisfair, SC space. Texas and South Carolina are scheduled to fulfill Tuesday night time on the Alamodome, with a tipoff scheduled for six p.m. CT on ESPN.
Texas Girls’s Basketball Put up-Recreation Notes
(6) Texas 64, (2) # 7/8 Maryland 61
Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas)
March 28, 2021
• Was Texas’ tenth all-time Elite 8 look, and first since 2016.
• Marks the primary time the Longhorns have certified for the Elite 8 as decrease than a No. 3 seed.
• Improved to 2-4 all time and 1-2 within the NCAA match towards Maryland.
• Held the Terrapins to a season low of 61 factors – greater than 30 factors under Maryland’s season common entry-into-game (91.8 factors per recreation).
• Restricted to Maryland to only 29 factors within the second half, half of the Terrapins’ lowest season.
• Scored the eleventh time up to now 12 video games that Texas have stored their opponent under their season common. Solely Iowa State reached its aim of the season in an time beyond regulation recreation on the Huge 12 match.
• Improved to 5-4 in video games towards groups that presently rank within the prime 25 nationally in offensive factors this season.
• It was Texas’ second straight win over an Related Press prime 10-ranked workforce, the primary time UT has crushed the highest 10 opponents in back-to-back video games since November / December. of the 2015-16 season. Subsequent, the Longhorns gained at 4/5 Tennessee on Nov. 29, adopted by a victory over 9/9 Mississippi State of their subsequent outing on Dec. 2.
• Began all 30 video games this season.
• Has scored in double digits for the twenty seventh time in his profession and the twenty third this season.
• Scored his thirteenth recreation of the season with at the very least three assists.
• Began his sixtieth consecutive recreation, relationship again to the beginning of the 2019-20 season.
• Recorded his thirty fifth profession double-double and nineteenth of the season – tied for second by any participant in Division I.
• Began for the twenty sixth straight recreation, relationship again to Dec 9, towards Idaho.
• Has scored in double digits for the third time in his final 5 video games after scoring simply 4 instances in his first 23 video games of the season.
• Recorded his twenty fifth begin to the season and nineteenth in a row.
• Posted his fourth profession double-double and third this season.
• Scored in double digits for the twentieth time this 12 months and the thirty fifth time in his profession.